Let’s be perfectly honest. Google is the largest search engine in the world (they supply your organic leads). They prefer it if you use WordPress since the overall build and structure of your site architecture is spot on. For you to use any other platform is very brave and a little confusing.
We use WordPress to build all of our client websites. So my recommendation for you would be the same – WordPress.org. I’ll admit, I refuse to build with any other platform since no other website builder has so much functionality, ease of use and powerful plugins to help enhance your website.
A couple of other platforms exist of course including:
- Squarespace – a paid for business website building platform
- WordPress.com – a free hosted blogging platform
- Blogger – another free hosted option – owned by Google
Of course, there are several other platforms you can build your website on. However, I can’t recommend them.
Unless you have a large 2000 page website and need your own personal server. The recommendations below are fine. The important thing for you and your business is customer service. When you have a problem or issue, you’ll want to be able to get hold of someone fast and actually knows what they’re doing.
There are quite a few hosting services where businesses can host their websites.
If you are in the UK we advise using 1 & 1 web hosting
There are so many business website themes to choose from and also many free ones. One word of advice. Go for a paid theme that is updated regularly. This will help with both the security of your website and will improve the freshness and overall feel of your website.
- StudioPress – Really nice designs (a leader in the field) with responsive themes.
- ThemeForest – This is the main marketplace for WordPress themes. They cover virtually every market from sales pages, landing pages to fully featured e-commerce sites. Many different designers from all around the world sell and market their themes here.
- Thesis – Their template manager is second to none, the themes are beautifully designed and they are responsive.
Note: If you’re having trouble setting up your website or simply need a redesign then maybe we can help? Feel free to get in touch and we can point you in the right direction.
Capsulecrm – Great free option if you’re a startup.
Manageflitter (a powerful addition to our own automation preferences) – is a critically acclaimed set of Twitter Tools loved by over 3 million people. Unfollow, Follow, Bio Search & Analytics
Tools for Graphic Design
- Canva – Makes design simple for everyone. Create designs for Web or print: blog graphics and presentations.
- Stocksnap – Hundreds of high-resolution images added weekly. Free from copyright restrictions.
- Pexels.com – Best free stock photos in one place.
- Stockup – Searching 14,778 free stock photos across 28 websites (hover over the images to find
- PicMonkey – Editing your photos is easy with PicMonkey! Add filters, frames, text, and effects to images with our free online photo editing tool!
- Pixabay – Free web images that require no attribution.
- 99designs – The #1 marketplace for graphic design, including logo design, web design and other design contests.
- Resizeimage.net – The best free online image resizer and optimizer on the Web.
- Photomania – Great website for editing your images and adding filters for free
NOTE: Just so we’re transparent. Some of the links are affiliate links and will earn XenMedia a small commission if you sign up to their services. Don’t worry, this won’t affect how you use them and adds nothing to the cost. It simply allows us to help the community and keep on providing valuable and useful resources for you.