So, it looks like Google is adding a brand-new feature to Google Adwords.
The new feature is linked to their “Click to Message” feature, which is attribution and bidding capabilities for retail advertisers. This was announced last week at SMX East in New York City.
Table Of Contents
What Exactly Is It?
Similar to ad extensions where you can add your telephone number or a specific page you want to promote, you will now have the ability to receive texts from people that will be delivered to you via email and you will be able to track it. This text will be further enquiries, questions before purchase, etc.
This means you don’t have to include a phone number in extensions – all your prospect needs to do is press a button and then ask their question. In turn, you will receive a text and you can even go one step further and set up an automated response by using a Google bot. This will be sent immediately after the question has been asked.
In most cases, most companies use this feature to confirm that they have received the question and inform the prospect that they will get back to them shortly.
Even though bot technology has been around for a little while, it is still not good enough to carry out a full-blown conversation by answering direct queries.
Just like call conversions (where you can track how effective your ad was based on an action, such as the prospect clicking to call you), you will be able to track the message conversions in exactly the same way. In fact, you will be able to track how many communication points it takes before your prospect completes a conversion action.
Google gives the example of a car dealer being able to track how many exchanges it takes before someone books in a test drive.
According to Google Consumer Surveys:
“65% of consumers say they’d consider using messaging to connect with a business to complete tasks like getting information about a product or service, or to schedule an in-person appointment.”
Here are the Google instructions to set this up:
Create message extensions
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- If you want your app extension to be limited to a particular campaign or ad group, choose one from the left navigation bar.
- Click the Ad extensions tab.
- Select View: Message extensions from the drop-down menu.
- Click + Extension.
- Select an existing message extension to add, or create a new extension by clicking + New message extension.
- Enter the information for your message ads:
- Phone number: A phone number that’s capable of sending and receiving text messages.
- Extension text: The text that will go in your click-to-message ad.
- Business name: The name of your business.
- Message text: The message text automatically shows in people’s messaging apps when they tap to send you a message. (For example, the message text might be: “I’d like to know more. Please text me back.”)
- Click Advanced options to restrict the message extension to certain dates or hours of the day.
- Click Save.
It seems as though a lot of retailers such as hairdressers or retail stores will benefit a lot from this new feature. Being able to track conversions will give businesses an extra data point where they can craft their ad and ad-copy based on the different conversion points.
This new feature makes it easier for businesses to better manage their message flow and be able to monitor and measure the results, so they can make changes to their ads in the future based on those results.
Finding out what decisions people make offline has always been a problem for Google and we feel that this added feature will certainly help our understanding of the prospect’s thought process before purchasing.
Is this something you would find helpful?